Everyone who knows me knows I have a sweet tooth…specifically i love gelato, froyo, ice cream, you get the point. I’ve been on a four day cleanse eating only smoothies, green juices, soups, and salads. Healthy stuff. Naturally my sweet tooth perked up, what did I do? I got some dates. Yummy. Who knew a fruit could be so delicious and sweet??
If you need something sweet, or even something to chase something bad with, or just a little sugar, have some dates. I bet you can’t just eat one though because they are sooooo tasty. You can find dates at farmers markets and health food stores like Whole Foods and Jumbos. Be careful when buying them though. Often you will see unrefrigerated dates in large bins, or for example, at Sprouts, packaged up in a small box. These have been processed and probably have more chemicals and sugar added to them. Stick with the natural, organic, ones that must be kept refrigerated, and are usually more costly. But the extra bucks are going toward your health and that is worth it. After all, it’s better than buying a pint of Ben and Jerry’s right?
Dates are also good to blend in smoothies, especially green ones, to help sweeten it up! I love to slice the date, take the pit out, and put some almond butter on it. (The pic looks like a lot more than I actually used). I swear, it’s like eating a recess peanut butter cup, but without the processed shit and fat, and if you eat more than one, its okay….
- Dates are full of dietary fiber, and can be used as a good bulk laxative because it helps move things along. It’s okay to eat them for breakfast, as they are easy to digest, and can help wake up the body for the day.
- They have tannins- health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants. Tannins are known to have anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties
- Because they are so natural, they many essential minerals good for well being and growth~ have iron, potassium, calcium, copper, vitamin A, vitamin B, and many more.
- There are about 20 calories in one date (plus whatever you may fill it with)
- The darker more black the date the sweeter it is!
- Dates have no fat! Just healthy minerals, vitamins, and properties…no wonder it’s one the most popular fruits! It’s my super sweet food!